Thursday, February 7, 2013

Confessions of a Beauty Queen



Many of my friends from Florida already know that I was somewhat of a pageant queen. Not as well known and famous as my beautiful sister, Samantha, she won many pageants! I have won a title or two, "Jr. Miss Teen Winter Haven" and "Miss Daytona Beach." I went on to compete in the televised Miss Florida and Miss Florida Teen Pageant, but did not place-not even close!










This is where I learned a lot about makeup and hair. At Miss Florida and Miss Florida Teen you were not allowed to have a backstage stylist for your hair and makeup, you were on your own! My dear friend and pageant pusher, Greg, made me drive half an hour after school each day to the salon to practice my hair and makeup and tan for at least 30 minutes in the tanning bed to get ready for the pageant.
 
Being backstage with 50 other girls, I have learned a thing or two about what goes on behind that curtain.

Butt Glue

Yes, there is such a thing! But it's not actually called "butt glue" it's a craft spray that is a strong adhesive. You spray the craft glue on your butt after you put on your swimsuit and it prevents the swimsuit from riding up while you are on stage. It's mandatory, I have seen a couple contestants that didn't use the "butt spray" and their bottoms stayed up their bottom the entire walk. Not a good look!

 
Chicken Cutlets

Whether you are in pageants or not, I'm sure you know what chicken cutlets are. They are the silicone fake breast pads that go into your swimsuit. Trust me, every girl on that stage has some sort of padding either sewn into their dresses and swimsuits or the chicken cutlets. Even if you are blessed with large breasts, the cutlets and the padding push them up and out, exactly where you want them to be.

Duct Tape

Instant push up bra! I personally had to use a combination of duct tape and sewn in pads in order to be in the same realm as some of these other contestants. And at the end of the pageant when it's time to rip it off? Ouch!

Preparation H and Saran Wrap

I have seen this stuff work miracles on girls. At the very start of the morning some contestants rub Preparation H all over their thighs and waists. After they rub in the Preparation H, they wrap their thighs and waists tight with the saran wrap and then put on pantyhose. This stays on the entire day, right up until the swimsuit competition. Would you believe that their skin does not move? Literally, it is so firm and tight when they get on the stage, incredible!




One of our appearances, I am 5th in from the left.
 

Vaseline

Ever wonder how those girls can smile for so long without cracking? Vaseline. We would put Vaseline on our teeth and gums and it allows your mouth to move freely. Many times when you are filming, the emcees will have to repeat the same segment and you are left standing on stage smiling for literally five minutes in front of the judges.



Pageants are actually a lot of fun, I had a blast competing and meeting new friends along the way. I even competed against Ericka Dunlap, Miss America 2004, she was one of my pageant friends. Who knows, maybe I will have to compete for "Mrs. Idaho" one of these days!

1 comment:

  1. I love this! Way to go, girl! I will definitely come cheer you on at the Mrs. Idaho Pageant!

    ReplyDelete