Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Healthy Hair and How to Get It


I have a lot of clients that ask me questions on the perfect hair regimen. That’s kind of a tricky question because all hair is different and in some cases require different upkeep than others. There are however some similar rituals that can be adopted for every hair type.

How often should I wash my hair?

Although you may not believe it, you should not wash your hair every day. I know what you are thinking, but I have oily hair there is no way I can skip washing my hair. When you wash your hair every day you are essentially robbing your hair of it’s natural oils and therefore you are telling your hair to create more oil! It’s a vicious cycle. Ideally, you should wash your hair every 2-3 days. If you are prone to oily scalp, use a dry shampoo in between your wash days or even a little cornstarch in your roots, it will absorb the oil and make your hair more manageable and absorb the oil off your roots.

Unplug the Blow Dryer

Blow drying your hair even when using a heat spray protectant, is still damaging your hair. Your hair is at its most vulnerable state when wet. If you can skip the blow dryer at least every other wash, I promise your will see a difference in the appearance of your hair. Besides, a lot of styles today call for a loose, more natural textured hairstyle. Just let it air dry and touch it up with a wide barrel curling iron.

 
Sexy Hair Concepts Healthy Sexy Hair Soy-Tri-Wheat Leave In Conditionerit's a 10 miracle leave-in product
Leave-In Conditioner
I am a huge advocate for leave-in conditioner, it is a step in the perfect hair care regimen that should not be skipped. I have nursed my hair back from death when I fried it in hair school with the use of a leave in conditioner.  I have two favorites, Soy Tri-Wheat Leave In Conditioner by Sexy Hair and also It’s a 10 . Many people are weary of leave-in conditioners because they are worried it will leave their hair feeling oily. Both It's a 10 and Soy-Tri Wheat leave your hair soft, but not oily and completely manageable.

 

 
 
 
Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum
Once you towel dry your hair, right before blow drying it or just letting it air dry, I apply a few drops of Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum and comb through my hair. This product makes your hair so silky smooth and casts a beautiful shine in the sunlight. It can also be used dry. I use it to touch up my hair when it’s a bit dirty and needs some luster and I also run it through my hair after I have curled it with a curling iron. It gives it instant shine and defines the curls. Just be careful because a little goes a long way and if you use too much, it will make your hair oily.
 
 
Once a Week Deep Conditioning Treatment
 Macadamia Deep Repair Masque 8.5ozMacadamia Deep Repair Masque 8.5oz

Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Masque 8.5ozSunlight, air pollution, hair products, heat-all these elements do a number on our hair. I highly recommend deep conditioning your hair once a week. Just wash your hair like normal, towel dry while in the shower, apply the deep conditioner in place of your regular conditioner, and then comb through with a very wide tooth comb. You can even apply a deep conditioning treatment and cover your hair with a plastic cap, add a little heat from the blow dryer, and let it sit on your hair while you do some housework. My favorite is Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Masque.
 
 

 


These are just a few of the important things I tell my clients when they ask me how to keep their hair healthy and color looking great. There are more specific steps for different hair types, but these few steps can be used by everyone. Good luck!


 
Macadamia Deep Repair Masque 8.5oz



 
 



 
 

1 comment:

  1. Great tips! I try not to wash my hair all that often - sometimes I'll even use Gold Bond to soak up some of that extra oil in between washings!

    ReplyDelete