Friday, February 1, 2013

Do I Really Need a Foundation Primer?

If you want your makeup to stay all day, you must use a primer under your foundation. They truly make a difference in the longevity and application of your foundation. Primers are just that, they prime your skin for makeup by evening out skin tone and texture. They create a base for the makeup to evenly glide and settle onto the skin’s surfaces and contain ingredients such as silicone, waxes, and polymers which enable the foundation to stay in place longer. Being a makeup artist, I go through a lot of primer. I am always trying something new and experimenting with high end and low end products.  Here are a few primers I have used and what I thought about them.

 
Too Faced - Primed & Poreless Skin Smoothing Face Primer

This is an awesome primer, it is ideal for every skin color and texture. It comes in a cream form, slightly pigmented but dries colorless, and a little goes a long way! Primed and Poreless contains Vitamins A & C, mulberry extract, and a powerful dose of Retinol . At $30.00 a bottle, it’s a little pricey but definitely works.

 

 

Healthy Skin Primer with SPF 15I was at Walgreens the other day and stumbled upon this primer. For photography we stay away from moisturizers and primers with SPF because they reflect light from the flash of the camera and can cause your face to appear white in pictures. However, I wanted to try this primer for an everyday use and to have some sun protection. Not a fan. It’s basically a moisturizer with SPF and does nothing in terms of a primer. It’s very well priced at $13.99, but I would use it as a moisturizer only.
 
 
 


A product thumbnail of Palladio Herbal Liquid Foundation Primer
I ran out of my Too Faced Primed and Poreless and was at Sally Beauty picking up lashes for an upcoming wedding when I stumbled upon Palladio Herbal Liquid Foundation Primer. The packaging looks just like Smashbox’s Photo Finish Foundation Primer and it immediately caught my attention. The sales girl said that a lot of people had been purchasing it so I thought I would try it myself. Sally’s has a great return policy, you can return almost anything even if it’s opened and used. So at $10.79 (I have the Beauty Club Card), it was worth a try. This primer is awesome, girls! I couldn’t believe how impressed I was. I even texted a couple of my fellow makeup artists in Florida and told them about it. It does nothing for skin tone, however it evens out the skin texture and your foundation glides on smooth and effortlessly. One downside, I use more of it then the Too Faced Primed and Poreless.
 
These are just a few that I have tried and I will continue to seek out more, there is always something new on the market. Also, primers are applied after your moisturizer and with a sponge. In most cases, you need just a pea sized amount, a little more with the Palladio.
 
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment